PHOTOS BY RICHARD HUGHES
This farming town northwest of Belleville features a number of historic buildings bearing plaques describing the original uses of those structures.
Pictured at right: 1852 BAKER FLOUR MILL & WOOLEN FACTORY
Burned 1866. Rebuilt 1868 as foundry. 1909 became Stirling’s fire hall & the Seymour Power Co. hydro electric sub-station.
39 Mill Street
BANK OF MONTREAL
Built following the great fire of 1908. Original 1902 site of Sovereign Bank of Canada.
2 Mill Street
THE STIRLING COMMUNITY SERVICE BUILDING
Constructed in 1927, by the Howson Co. of Tweed, Ontario, for a tendered price of 25,500 dollars. By-law Number 373 was passed by Stirling Council and signed by Thomas Montgomery, Reeve, and George Luery, Clerk, to borrow nineteen thousand dollars from the Royal Bank of Canada until debentures were sold. In 1927, a board of managers with representatives from the council, the Women’s Institute, the Agricultural Society, the Board of Trade and the Horticultural Society were appointed to operate the new building. In 1928, the Stirling Women’s Institute granted 2,000 dollars toward constructing this building on the condition that the institute could hold its meeting here free of charge. Down through the years many community events have been held here, providing entertainment for the citizens of Stirling and community. Today with the efforts of the Stirling Performing Arts Committee, the Village Council and with the financial assistance of the ministry of culture and communications, the building is being refurbished and preserved for future generations of Stirling’s citizens. 1988. Reeve – Wieger Dejong. Clerk – Murray A. Rodgers
Through the efforts of the Stirling Performing Arts Committee, the village council and with the financial assistance of the Ministry of Culture and Communication, this building is being refurbished and preserved for the future generations of Stirling’s citizens. June 1990
41 West Front Street
LIMESTONE BUILDING CIRCA 1850-1860’S
1883 fire destroyed J. Green’s vacant store below & Masonic Hall upstairs. The Masons rebuilt and added brickwork. 18 West Front Street
Built early 1900’s. Formerly Scott House Hotel & Moon’s Hotel. The corner housed successively the British Empire Bank, the Union Bank and the Royal Bank. 17 West Front Street
1880 MEIKLEJON HARDWARE
Family owned for 100 years. Cheese vats, hoops & supplies were handmade here for 15 area cheese factories.
14 Front West Front Street