SIR JOHN A. MACDONALD HERITAGE TRAIL
MACDONALD IN BELLEVILLE
Sir John A Macdonald had great political friends in Belleville. George Benjamin and later Sir Mackenzie Bowell supported Conservative policies through The Belleville Intelligencer newspaper. Sir. Mackenzie Bowell was first elected federally in 1867. He was appointed Minister of Customs, overseeing government revenue, in Macdonald's Cabinet in 1878.
On October 6, 1886, Sir Mackenzie Bowell hosted when Sir John A. and Lady Macdonald arrived by boat from the Murray Canal. There was a grand torchlight procession through the streets of Belleville and speeches at the Opera House. Thousands were in attendance and the Opera House was "crowded to the rafters."
Sir Mackenzie became the 5th prime minister of Canada in 1894.
Glanmore National Historic Site's Sir Mackenzie Bowell Collection features Canadian silver, fine china and other artifacts.
Heritage Trail Interpretive panels
Celebrating the contributions of Sir John A. Macdonald in this region, the Trail commemorates the bicentennial of his birth in 1815. Panels are located at various points between Kingston and Quinte West and highlight the legacy of Sir John A.'s local history. For more information visit www.macdonaldtrail.ca.
GPS Co-ordinates: 44° 10' 01.48" N 77° 22' 03.55" W
257 Bridge Street East Belleville, on the grounds of Glanmore National Historic Site