RCAF No. 5 INITIAL TRAINING SCHOOL (ITS) BELLEVILLE
In World War II, the RCAF No. 5 ITS occupied this facility from 1941 to 1944 under an agreement between the federal and Ontario governments. It was one of seven such units that operated under the RCAF-directed Commonwealth Air Training Plan in Canada. It provided initial training for potential aircrew. Instruction in mathematics, Link Trainer, armament, flight theory, communications, meteorology, discipline, navigation and other related subjects preceded final testing and selection. Graduates were posted to other air force bases in Canada for concentrated and advanced training to “wings” standards in one of several aircrew branches.
The RCAF directed the training of airmen from Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States. Of the 131,500 airmen trained in Canada during the war, nearly 70,000 were Canadians and, of that magnificent number, 6,664 received their initial training here.
This commemorative plaque is dedicated to all who served here at No. 5 ITS, and especially to those who gave their lives in their air force service to their country…..they will not be forgotten!
“PER ARDUA AD ASTRA”
(Through adversity to the stars)
GPS Co-ordinates: 44° 09’ 01.46” N 77° 24’ 12.59” W (44.15027778 -77.40333333)
Street Address: 350 Dundas Street West, Belleville
The "facility" in question is the Sir James Whitney School for the Deaf. The plaque is fastened to the front of the building well to the right of the main entrance.