ONTARIO'S FIRST GOLD MINE
In August, 1866, Marcus Herbert Powell, Clerk of the Division Court and part-time prospector, struck gold nearby on the farm of John Richardson. The following year Ontario's first gold mine went into production on that site and the community of Eldorado was founded. The Richardson Mine proved unprofitable and soon ceased operation, but its discovery caused a substantial gold rush to the surrounding region. A number of small gold mines were subsequently established in southeastern Ontario, including the Deloro, Gilmour, Cordova, Feigle, Bannockburn and Golden Fleece. Owing to decreasing ore values, wasteful recovery methods and shortage of capital, most of these mines were abandoned after a few years of operation.
GPS co-ordinates: 44° 35’ 292 N 77° 31’ 202” W (44.5913889 77.52222222)
Street address: Highway 62 and John Street, Eldorado
For more information on Ontario's first gold mine, click HERE