Hastings Historical Plaques

Historical Plaques by TOPIC

Categories
Search:  
Architecture (8)  Literary (8)  Religion (12) 
Disasters (2)  Military (10)  Sports (5) 
Education (3)  People (26)   
Industry (4)  Railways (3)   
Go Back

MONCK ROAD

PLAQUE TEXT:

This road was constructed for the dual purpose of opening up a wilderness area to settlement and providing an alternative, less vulnerable military route between the Upper Great Lakes and the Ottawa Valley. Its line from the vicinity of Lake Couchiching to the junction of the Hastings and Mississippi Colonization Roads at the hamlet of York River (now Bancroft) was surveyed in 1864-65 at the time of the American Civil War. Named in honour of the Governor General (1861-68), Lord Monck, construction was begun in 1866 and completed in 1873. Free grants of land along its route were made to persons fulfilling the required settlement duties.

Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario

GPS Location: 45 03 33.69 N, 77 51 31.06 W (45.05916667, 77.85861111)

Street Location: 28C Station Street, beside Bancroft North Hastings Heritage Museum


MONCK ROAD
Information Last Updated: Sunday July 21, 2019