MOHAWK HERITAGE TRAIL
On the Mohawk Heritage Trail are three plaques commemorating a trail that is more than 200 years old.
THE MOHAWKS OF THE BAY OF QUINTE “OHAHAKA:YON” HERITAGE TRAIL
FIRST PLAQUE TEXT:
“Ohahaka:yon” means old trail or path and this Heritage trail is based on a trail that dates back to the beginning of our community, more than 200 years ago. The Mohawks of the Bay of Quinte at Tyendinaga Mohawk Territory is a community of the Mohawk Nation, one of the members of the Iroquois or Six Nations Confederacy. Long before contact with newcomers, in lands south of Lake Ontario, 5 warring nations, Mohawk, Oneida, Onondaga, Cayuga and Seneca were united under the Great Law, symbolized by the Tree of Peace. The sixth nation, Tuscarora, was added in the 18th century. The Turtle, Wolf and Bear are the three clans of our nation. The eagle sits atop the tree ready to warn our people of approaching dangers. The Silver Covenant Chain symbolizes the relationship between the Confederacy and Newcomers. We invite you to explore this pathway and share in our history. Walk in peace.
SECOND PLAQUE TEXT:
THE COMING OF THE MOHAWKS
Commemorating the arrival here on 22nd May, 1784, under the leadership of Chiefs John Deserontyou, Aaron Hill and Isaac Hill, of a bad of Loyal Mohawks, on of the Nations of the Iroquois Confederacy expelled from their homes in the Mohawk Valley for their fidelity to the unity of the Empire.
THIRD PLAQUE TEXT:
ST. GEORGE’S CHURCH
The cairn site is a memorial to the landing in 1784 and to the location of the community’s first church, St. George’s Church. For those following the way of the Church of England, the construction of a church was a challenge and a priority. The Church of England had been an important influence in the lives of the Mohawk people in Mohawk Valley for decades. The first church was completed in about 1794 and enlarged about 1799. It was both a place of worship and also a community hall for meetings and celebrations. This Heritage Trail is based upon on original pathway to the old church site, one of many used by Mohawks of the Bay of Quinte in the very early days of our community. Later, the pathway came to link the old Church site with the new Church, Christ Church. Which was consecrated in 1843. Our community therefore has used this trail for over 200 years.
Also featured in Mohawk.
GPS co-ordinates: 44° 11’ 01.81” N 77° 04’ 13.82” (44.18361111, 77.07027778)
Street address: Bayshore Road west of Deseronto
These plaques are in the immediate vicinity of two others that tell the story of the Mohawks and the connection with Christ Church.