Hastings Historical Plaques

Historical Plaques by TOPIC

Categories
Search:  
Architecture (7)  Literary (7)  Religion (11) 
Disasters (1)  Military (8)  Sports (5) 
Education (3)  People (26)   
Industry (3)  Railways (3)   
Go Back

CHRIST CHURCH, HER MAJESTY'S ROYAL CHAPEL OF THE MOHAWK

PLAQUE TEXT: There are a number of plaques at this site, including two relating to the origin of the church itself.

 

CHRIST CHURCH, HER MAJESTY’S CHAPEL ROYAL OF THE MOHAWK

This handsome church attests to the remarkable historic alliance of the Mohawk people with the Crown. Loyal Mohawks, who sacrificed much in their support of the British cause, came here after the American Revolution. They built a log church nearby, which Christ Church replaced in 1843. Royal gifts over the years have honoured this extraordinary relationship and in 1904 King Edward VII conferred the title, “His Majesty’s Chapel.” This Gothic Revival church was severely damaged by fire in 1906. Restored at Mohawk expense, the chapel stands today as a symbol of their enduring regard for the Crown.

Erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada. Text also displayed in French and Mohawk.

GPS co-ordinates: 44° 11’ 07.49” N 77° 04’ 26.35” W, (44.18527778, 77.07388889)

Street address: 52 South Church Street, Deseronto

 

CHRIST CHURCH 1843

The Mohawks, allies of the British during the American Revolution, settled permanently in Canada following that conflict. A party led by Capt. John Deserontyon landed here in 1784 and constructed a chapel shortly thereafter. The church’s historic Communion Plate is part of a gift presented to the Mohawks in 1712 by Queen Anne. In 1798 King George III gave to the chapel, which became known as a “Chapel Royal”, a triptych bell, and Royal Coat-of-Arms. The first permanent chaplain, the Reverend Saltern Givens, was appointed in 1831 and, during the incumbency, the present structure was built by the Mohawks in 1843. Although damaged by fire in 1906, Christ Church appears today essentially as originally constructed.

Erected by the Archaeological and Historic Sites Board, Department of Public Records, Archives of Ontario

GPS co-ordinates: 44° 11’ 07.49” N 77° 04’ 26.35” W, (44.18527778, 77.07388889)

Street address: 52 South Church Street, Deseronto

Christ Church


CHRIST CHURCH, HER MAJESTY'S ROYAL CHAPEL OF
Information Last Updated: Wednesday July 3, 2019