Designated as a historical site in 1989 by the former City of Trenton, Mt. Pelion is a drumlin 191 feet above the Bay of Quinte created by glacial movement. The origin of Mt. Pelion's name is Greek but the story of why it was called Pelion has been lost to time. Samuel de Champlain passed through this area in 1615 with a war party of 500 Huron Indians and most certainly scaled Mt. Pelion to survey the surrounding area. The cannon that sits atop Mt. Pelion is a British Royal Navy cannon dated 1808 and was placed at the pinnacle in 1880. The redevelopment of Mt. Pelion began in 1999 with the replacement of the stairs and observation tower. It was officially dedicated on July 1, 2000 as part of the city's and federal government's millennium projects.
Quinte West, Mount Pelion, City of Quinte West, Trenton Ward
GPS co-ordinates: 44° 06' 08.20" N 77° 35' 03.72" W (44.10222222, -77.58416667)
Street address: The pinnacle parking lot is accessible via a narrow one-way lane at the north end of Maclellan Avenue (although the street is marked No Exit). Another one-way lane brings you down to Dufferin Avenue. The viewing platform is a sturdy steel tower built in 2000, accessed by a first-class stairway and walkway that includes 101 steps. The view from the top is worth the exercise.
Looking east: View from Mount Pelion observation tower, looking east on the Bay of Quinte. Prince Edward County is visible across the bay, while the mouth of the Trent River and Trent Port is in the foreground. The elevation at the top of the hill is 117 metres above sea level.
Looking north: This view shows the Trent River curving into town. Line of communication are visible here, including a railway bridge, Highway 401 in the distance and the Trent Canal system along the left side of the river. Hills in the distance are drumlins and other glacial deposits.
Cannon: Hauled with great effort to the top of the hill in 1880. The outline of Mount Pelion, which is a glacier-formed drumlin, is plainly visible from a Google map.