DESERONTO, FOUNDING OF
Led by Deserontyon (Captain John), a group of Mohawks, supporters of the British during the American Revolution, in 1784 became this area's first settlers. Lands to the east of the Mohawks' reserve were patented by John Culbertson in 1837. He began selling village lots in his tract in 1840. Culbertson registered a survey for a village, "Deseronca", in 1850, although the settlement was called "Mill Point" 1850-81. After 1855 Hugo B. Rathbun acquired many village properties and built one of the province's earliest company towns here to house employees of his shipyard and sawmill. A county by-law of 1871 provided for the incorporation of Mill Point as a Village. It was renamed "Deseronto" in 1881 and became a Town in 1889.
Erected by the Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario.
GPS co-ordinates: 44º 11' 30.64" N 77º 03' 20.53" W (44.19166667, 77.05555556)
Street location: The plaque is located in Centennial Park in the west end of Deseronto on Main Street along the waterfront.