Hastings Historical Plaques

Historical Plaques by REGION

Categories
Search:  
Belleville (50)  Hastings County (41)  Quinte West (12) 
Central Hastings (17)  Mohawk/Tyendinaga (6)   
Deseronto (8)  Northern Hastings (6)   
Go Back

THOMASBURG SPRING

PLAQUE TEXT

The Thomasburg Spring provided fresh, cool water for generations of thirsty travellers and their horses. In 1821, Thomas Clare, a survey chain-bearer, drank from the spring, recognized its value and returned in 1830 to settle here. Thomasburg (named for three pioneers, Thomas Clare, Thomas Graham and Thomas Nichol) became a thriving community, which by the 1870s had two general stores, four churches, a school, Orange Hall, cheese factory, tannery, blacksmith, and several other businesses. The spring evolved into a well and reservoir for fighting fires. For over a hundred years people came here from miles around for their drinking water.

  • Erected June 23, 2018 by the Hastings County Historical Society

GPS location: 44º 23'31.88" N 77º 20'52.13" W

Located in a small parkette on Clare Street in Thomasburg


Thomasburg spring plaque unveiling


THOMASBURG SPRING
Information Last Updated: Sunday July 26, 2020