The first survey in the Quinte area. Near this site in 1785, Lewis Kotte, deputy provincial surveyor, commenced the running of the boundary line between the townships of Thurlow and Sidney. This monument was erected to commemorate the centennial of the Association of Ontario Land Surveyors, 1892-1992.
GPS Location: 44° 09' 10.82" N 77° 23' 41.73 W (44.15277778, -77.394722220
Street address: Intersection of Dundas Street West and Sidney Street, Belleville.
Note: Michael McAlpine, a noted surveyor from Bancroft, Ontario, was used as the model for this monument. Picture below: This is the view today of what Lewis Kotte saw through his transit, except that all he saw were trees. Today this is Sidney Street. To the left is Sidney Township, to the right is Thurlow Township. The location is on Dundas Street West, formerly Highway 2, just west of the Norris Whitney Bridge to Prince Edward County. Loyalist settlers began to arrive in the area in 1784, forcing the government to hurry its survey work to divide the land into townships and lots.