In 1797 James and Margaret Simpson had a small log tavern at the southeast corner of this intersection. In 1799 they built a frame tavern which became the hub of Meyers’ Creek for political rallies, military recruitment, training and courts-martial, masonic lodge meetings and social gatherings. After James died in 1802, Margaret continued the business and was the first woman granted a tavern license in Midland District. In 1820 Margaret built a frame Georgian-style inn on the northeast corner of the intersection. It was sold in 1825 to the Wallbridge family and was demolished in 1978.
GPS Location: 44° 09’ 39.50” 77° 22’ 59.16” W (44.65611111, -77.38305556)
Street address: Parkette, NW corner Front and Dundas streets, Belleville
This plaque is near The Log Cabin monument to the arrival of the Loyalists in 1784. Several other plaques are also in the parkette.