Water-powered mills were a vital necessity in the lives of pioneering settlements. In the early 1830s Donald MacKenzie erected a sawmill, grist mill and store at this site beside Deer Creek. The community that grew around them became known as MacKenzie’s Mills. In 1862, a wooden three-storey grist mill was built here to replace the original. The village saw a substantial increase in population following the discovery of gold in the area in 1866 and the construction of a rock-crushing mill. In 1878 the village was incorporated as Madoc, named after the legendary Prince Madoc Ad O’Waiin Gwynedd of Wales.
Placed by Hastings County Historical Society, July 28, 2018
GPS co-ordinates: 44° 30’ 18.08” N 77° 28’ 25.01” W (44.50500000 77.47361111)
Street address: On bridge over Deer Creek on St. Lawrence Street West, Madoc
Sketch of Deer Creek plunging through Madoc.
MacKenzie's Mills plaque on bridge over Deer Creek, approximating scene shown in sketch.