HAROLD COLMAN RICKABY
IN HONOUR OF HAROLD COLMAN RICKABY 1890-1975
Deputy minister of the Ontario Department of Mines for twenty-two years, "Rick" Rickaby was respected for his contributions to science and the mining industry.
Awarded the Croix de Guerre by France in the First World War, he returned to the University of Toronto where he obtained his B.S. in 1922 and M.A. in 1923.
He joined the Department of Mines as a geologist in 1927, became provincial geologist in 1934, and was appointed deputy minister in 1938. For his contributions to science he was made a fellow of the Royal Society of Canada in 1936.
He was largely responsible for the first government airborne magnetic survey in Ontario (1949), which led directly to the discovery of the Marmoraton iron mine 120 feet under the surface near Marmora.
- Erected by and in co-operation with the Ministry of Natural Resources, Marmoraton Mines Company and the Village of Marmora.
GPS location: 44º 28' 56.35" N 77º 41' 02.80" W (44.48222222, 77.68388889)
Located in Marmora Memorial Park