GRIFFIN OPERA HOUSE
Belleville's splendid opera house, the Griffin, originally the Belleville Opera House and subsequently the Carman Opera House, opened at this location on January 24, 1884. The imposing red brick exterior was highlighted with stone arch details and tall narrow windows. The sumptuous interior featured frescoed walls, painted woodwork, lavish sets and draperies, private boxes and galleries. Capacity crowds of 1300 enjoyed melodramas and minstrel shows. Belleville was a major opera destination on the Toronto-Montreal circuit. The advent of talking pictures and purpose-built cinemas heralded the end; the Griffin Opera House was demolished in 1933.
GPS: 44° 09' 51.20" N 77° 22' 52.48" W
65 Bridge Street East, Belleville. The location is now the site of a law office.
Griffin Opera House interior