DUNDAS STREET BURYING GROUND 1828-1874
This memorial marks a burying ground established here by the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1828. It was the year of a great Revival, a “turning point” year for Methodism in Belleville, and the first year in which Methodists in the province could legally hold title to land. John Canniff Sr. sold this acre for £30 to the Trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church: Jonas Canniff, Benjamin Ketcheson, Walter Ross and William Ross. The site ceased to be used as a cemetery after the new Belleville Cemetery opened west of the city in the 1870s. We remember the fortitude of the early settlers of Belleville and dedicate this site to their memory.
Erected by Heritage Belleville with the assistance of the Bridge Street United Church Foundation, the Belleville Kinsmen Club, and the City of Belleville, 1993.
GPS Co-ordinates: 44° 09’ 43.91” N 77° 22’ 22.80” W (44.1614444 -77.3727778)
Street address: Southwest corner of Newberry Street and Dundas Street East
The burial ground has become the site of a playground.