The name of the hamlet of Corbyville recognizes the Corby family’s considerable legacy in Hastings County. Henry Corby – baker, grain merchant, miller – began distilling whisky in 1859. Politically active, he served as mayor of Belleville 1867-1868 and MPP from 1867-1875. Henry Corby Jr. directed the successful expansion of the business after 1881. As MP he represented Hastings West 1888-1901 and was appointed to the Senate in 1912. He died in 1917. The company assets were sold by 1905; after several ownerships the distillery closed in 1989. Corby’s employed generations of workers in its 130-year history.
GPS location: 44° 13’07.56” N 77° 23’12.86 W
86 River Road, Corbyville (Belleville) ON
Further information: The only remaining building on the Corby Distillery property has been converted by Richard Cournoyer into Signal Brewery which specializes in producing a range of distinctive beers.