In 1857, ten years before Confederation, William Fraser Chisholm (1829-1908) acquired Shipman’s Mill on the Moira River at Roslin. That property consisted of a flour and feed mill and a sawmill, all water-powered. Until the early 1900s the Moira River served as a transportation mode from logs to the sawmill from northern logging operations. Since those early days, six generations of the Chisholm family have served the surrounding countryside and distant markets. After 161 years, the Chisholm group of companies encompasses a fully integrated operation – from forest to finished products.
Erected July 6, 2018 by the Hastings County Historical Society
GPS co-ordinates: 44° 21’ 10.47” N 77° 18’ 19.59” W
Street Address: Shannonville Road across from Chisholm’s lumber mill