Historical Plaques by REGION
Click the pins on the map below to discover the plaques in your local area and beyond. Discover the history of your own community!
In 1853 Billa Flint (1805-94), a lumberman, member of the legislative assembly and later of the senate, built sawmills here on the Skootamatta River.... READ MORE
One of the first Baptist missionaries to serve the scattered communities along the north shore of Lake Ontario, Turner came to Upper Canada... ... READ MORE
In 1853, following the surveying of the Hastings Colonization Road, the Clark family were the first Europeans to settle here.... READ MORE
Location of #1 Instrument Flying School, Camp Mohawk, April 2, 1943, August 31, 1945... READ MORE
Born at Deseronto, Kerr attended schools here and in Toronto. With the outbreak of the First World War,... READ MORE
In September, 1615, a small party of Frenchmen, commanded by Samuel de Champlain, and some five hundred Huron Indians, passed down the Trent River.... READ MORE
In 1857, ten years before Confederation, William Fraser Chisholm (1829-1908) acquired Shipman's Mill on the Moira River.... READ MORE
This handsome church attests to the remarkable historic alliance of the Mohawk people with the Crown.... READ MORE
A civic memorial tree commemorates one of the first actions of the City of Quinte West, incorporated January 1, 1998.... READ MORE
A Huron by birth, a Mohawk by adoption, founder of the Five Nations (the Iroquois Confederacy), was born near here, during the early fifteenth century....
From its beginning the Village of Deloro was a "company town" reliant on mining and refining. Today it is the site of a major environmental clean...
Ontario's rich forests provided raw materials for Deseronto's timber industries...
Led by Deserontyon (Captain John), a group of Mohawks, supporters of the British during the American Revolution, in 1784 became...
Henry Gauen was trapped in the Arctic ice for two years on the Investigator as the McClure expedition searched for the Franklin Expedition.... READ MORE
The City of Belleville has dedicated a ball field in Thurlow Park to the late George Beer, councillor and avid sports fan.... READ MORE
Deputy minister of the Ontario Department of Mines for twenty-two years, "Rick" Rickaby was respected for his contributions to science and the mi...
This road was begun in 1854 as part of a network of "Colonization Roads" planned by the government.... READ MORE
Trenton was home to one of Canada's earliest and longest running film studios, built on this site in 1917.... READ MORE
The viral disease of smallpox - widespread in 19th century Ontario - flared up in a severe epidemic in Hungerford Township in 1884.... READ MORE
The only chaplain in World War II to receive the Victoria Cross, John Weir Foote was born and raised in Madoc. ... READ MORE
Born in Bangor Township, Dafoe began his career with the "Montreal Daily Star" in 1883.... READ MORE
The steep sides of this narrow river valley provided excellent opportunities for damming the Salmon River.... READ MORE
Water-powered mills were a vital necessity in the lives of pioneering settlements.... READ MORE
With war threatening n Europe in 1913, a cadet corps was formed in Madoc from the student body of the high school.... READ MORE
Mills constructed about 1832 by Donald MacKenzie, a Belleville merchant, and the ironworks erected by American entrepreneurs Uriah Seymour and John Pendergas...
Belleville's Market Square is more than two hundred years old.... READ MORE
In 1821 an Irish immigrant, Charles Hayes, began building here one of the province's earliest smelters and foundries, which by June, 1823, was ready to p...
A prolific and accomplished playwright, Denison was born in Detroit and raised in Ontario.... READ MORE
Marmora is Upper Canada's first pioneer irontown, established in 1821. The iron ore works gave life to mines in Blairton, Belmont and Ma...
These plaques commemorate a Mohawk trail that has been used for more than 200 years.... READ MORE
Two plaques in a small roadside park near Deseronto describe the Mohawks who landed on the shore of the Bay of Quinte in 1784.... READ MORE
This colonization road was constructed for the dual purpose of opening up a wilderness area to settlement...... READ MORE
Mount Pelion in the heart of Trenton offers a splendid view of the Trent River valley and the Bay of Quinte. Follow in the steps of Samuel de Champlain!...
In August, 1866, Marcus Herbert Powell, Clerk of the Division Court and part-time prospector, struck gold on the farm of John Richardson....
The renowned Mohawk chief orator and physician was buried in this churchyard.... READ MORE
The Peterson Road was named after Joseph S. Peterson, the surveyor who determined its route... READ MORE
This is the story of a dead man saving three people from drowning.... READ MORE
This farming town northwest of Belleville features a number of historic buildings bearing plaques describing the original uses of those structures.... READ MORE
Stone Church, one of three known cobblestone churches in Ontario, is part of a small group of cobblestone buildings in this area.... READ MORE
The Thomasburg Spring provided fresh, cool water for generations of thirsty travellers and their horses.... READ MORE
During the 1830s a settlement, initially called Munroe's Mills and later Hungerford Mills, developed here on the Moira River.... READ MORE