BELLEVILLE CITY HALL
This imposing structure was erected in 1872-73 to house the public market and administrative offices of the rapidly expanding municipality of Belleville. It was designed by John Evans, a local architect, and constructed by contractor John Forin. A fine example of High Victorian architecture, the handsome brick and limestone structure was built as an expression of civic pride and confidence in the future. It is distinguished by tall, arched windows on the second floor, a bell-cast mansard roof with dormers and a massive clock tower strengthened by octagonal buttresses. Aside from its administrative function, the structure has also served as a meeting place for religious, social and commercial organizations. Little altered since erected, it continues today to be the most prominent landmark with the community.
– Ontario Heritage Foundation
aussi en français
GPS co-ordinates: 44° 09’ 45.69” N 77° 23’ 00.72” W (44.16250000, 77.38333333)
Street address: 169 Front Street, Belleville