FORMATION OF THE METHODIST CHURCH
The largest Protestant denomination in Canada during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the Methodist Church (Canada, Newfoundland, Bermuda) was established in 1884. Its formation marked the culmination of a long series of mergers between groups of British and American origin. The first broad union occurred in 1874 when three denominations, amalgamations of smaller groups, joined to form the Methodist Church of Canada. Nine years later at meetings held in Belleville, union of all mainline Methodists was proposed. After intense debate, delegates representing the Methodist Episcopal Church in Canada, the Bible Christian Church of Canada, the Primitive Methodist Church in Canada and the Methodist Church of Canada approved the merger and on July 1, 1884 the Methodist Church (Canada, Newfoundland, Bermuda) was officially established.
- Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation
GPS co-ordinates: 44° 09' 51.62" N 77° 22' 51.81" W (44.16416667 -77.38083333
Street location: 60 Bridge Street East at Church Street, Belleville
The plaque is located in front of Bridge Street United Street, a former Methodist church.