Hastings Historical Plaques
Categories
Search:  
Belleville (43)     
Go Back

FIRE STATION NO. 2

PLAQUE TEXT

In 1867 contractor John Forin built this stone building with brick façade to house a fire station, police office and cells. Belleville town council met here until 1873. In 1916 a permanent firefighting force replaced volunteers. Firemen were on duty six days a week, 24 hours a day. In the 1920s horse-drawn equipment – an 1870 steam engine, ladder and hose carts – was augmented by motorized vehicles. Fire Station No. 2 closed in 1950. The façade with its tall arched windows is unchanged but for the replacement of the large doors by shop fronts.


GPS location: 44° 10’ 08.21” N 77° 23’ 09.42” W
394A Front Street, Belleville, ON

Photo: Fire Station No. 2: The old fire station has been occupied by a succession of restaurants. Currently it is a Mexican restaurant which has expanded into both bays of the station.

fire hall horses

FIRE STATION NO. 2
Information Last Updated: Saturday February 16, 2019