CHAMPLAIN'S WAR PARTY 1615
In September, 1615, a small party of Frenchmen, commanded by Samuel de Champlain, and some five hundred Huron Indians, passed down the Trent River on their way to attack the Iroquois who lived in what is now northern New York State. Joined by a band of Algonkians they skirted the eastern end of Lake Ontario and journeyed southward to a palisaded Onondaga village near the present site of Syracuse, N.Y. Champlain was wounded, the attack repulsed and the discomfited allies returned to Huronia. This expedition increased the hostility of the Five Nations towards the French and their Indian supporters, which culminated in the defeat and dispersal of the Hurons 1649-50.
Erected by the Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board
GPS co-ordinates: 44º 05' 59.57" N 77º 34' 29.64" W; 44.09972222, 77.57361111
Street address: 19 Quinte Street, Trenton Note: This plaque is difficult to find. It is located obscurely at the northeast end of the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 110 amid a flourish of flags and a military cannon. This places it on the left of the impressive City of Quinte West Municipal Hall at the mouth of the Trent River at the Bay of Quinte. As there are a number of other plaques in this scenic area, the location is worth exploring.