Hastings Historical Plaques

Click the pins on the map below to discover the plaques in your local area and beyond. Discover the history of your own community!

Historical Plaque Map - Belleville
Home  /  Directory  /  Belleville

Belleville

9-11 MEMORIAL

This is a section of I-beam recovered from the ruins of the World Trade Centre.

... READ MORE


ALBERT CARMAN 1833-1917


 

A commanding figure in Canadian Methodism during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Carman was born in Iroquois ... READ MORE



ALBERT COLLEGE

In 1854 the Methodist Episcopal Church, recognizing the need to improve the training of its clergy, began the construction of a seminary on this site.

... READ MORE


BELLEVILLE

By 1790 the mill, tavern and stores established here near the Bay of Quinte had stimulated the growth of a settlement.

... READ MORE


BELLEVILLE CITY HALL

This imposing structure was erected in 1872-73 to house the public market and administrative offices of the rapidly expanding municipality of Belleville. READ MORE



BOBBY HULL
Bobby Hull, "The Golden Jet" was a phenomenal hockey player who came from Point Anne.... READ MORE


BOGART-CARMAN BUILDING
This historically important site was purchased from the crown in 1797 by Alexander Chisholm. ... READ MORE


CAPTAIN JOHN W. MEYERS 1745-1821

Meyers gained fame as a Loyalist spy during the American Revolution.

... READ MORE


CORBYVILLE
The name of the hamlet of Corbyville recognizes the Corby family’s considerable legacy in Hastings County. ... READ MORE


DR. R. L. VAUGHAN
In the history of hockey in Belleville, it is fair to say that Dr. Robert L. Vaughan was a visionary...... READ MORE


DUNDAS STREET BURYING GROUND 1828-1874
This memorial marks a burying ground established here by the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1828.

... READ MORE


FIRE STATION NO. 2
In 1867 contractor John Forin built this stone building with brick façade to house a fire station, police office and cells. ... READ MORE


FLYING FRENCHMEN
Professional hockey was in its infancy in the autumn of 1909

... READ MORE


FORMATION OF THE METHODIST CHURCH
The largest Protestant denomination in Canada during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the Methodist Church (Canada, Newfoundland,... READ MORE


GEORGE BEER

The City of Belleville has dedicated a ball field in Thurlow Park to the late George Beer, councillor and avid sports fan.

 

... READ MORE


GLANMORE NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE
This imposing house is a fine example of the Second Empire style which was popular in Canada in the 1870s and 1880s.

... READ MORE


GOLDEN HAWK

This Golden Hawk aircraft was originally refurbished in May 1987...

... READ MORE


GRAND TRUNK RAILWAY BELLEVILLE

The Grand Trunk was incorporated in 1853 to run from Sarnia to Portland, Maine. 

... READ MORE


GREAT BELLEVILLE FLOODS

Until modern ice-control measures were instituted, spring flooding of the Moira River was a regular occurrence.

... READ MORE


GRIFFIN OPERA HOUSE
Belleville’s splendid opera house, the Griffin, originally the Belleville Opera House, opened at this location on January 24, 1884.... READ MORE


GWENDOLYN LAZIER
  At 18 years of age Gwendolyn Lazier rode on horseback from Belleville to Washington via New York City...

... READ MORE


HALLELUJAH WEDDING (Bridge St. United Church)

Hallelujah Weddings were distinctive Salvation Army rituals which well-wishers paid to attend and enjoy the lengthy spectacle of a lively marriage.

... READ MORE


JAMES BERTRAM COLLIP
A co-discoverer of insulin, J.B. (Bert) Collip was one of Canada's most prolific medical researchers ... READ MORE


LOG CABIN MONUMENT
This memorial is erected to commemorate the 140th anniversary of the landing of the United Empire Loyalists in Ontario in the year 1784 A.D.

... READ MORE


MARCHMONT DISTRIBUTION HOME 1875-1925
From 1875 to 1925, about 10,000 orphaned...... READ MORE


MEMORIAL ARENA
The Council of the Corporation of the City of Belleville purchased the Hume Arena on June 26, 1946

... READ MORE


MOUNT ST. PATRICK CEMETERY
PLAQUE TEXT: There is no plaque, other than the large memorial boulder that was placed in the cemetery in 2018. Still, there’s a fascinating story here. <... READ MORE


ONTARIO SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF

In 1869, the Ontario government sanctioned the establishment of the first provincial school for deaf children.

... READ MORE


PINNACLE STREET RAILWAY
The railway line on Pinnacle Street was part of the Grand Junction Railway which ran from Belleville to Peterborough. ... READ MORE


POINT ANNE UNITED CHURCH

Point Anne was a brand-new church in the cement company town of Point Anne in 1925. When the plant closed, the church was finished.

... READ MORE


PONTON PARK

Ponton Park is open parkland left over from the development of a large tract of land owned by the Ponton family.

... READ MORE


RAILROAD MONUMENT BAYSHORE TRAIL

As part of Canada’s centennial (1967) celebration the railroaders of this area and their friends volunteered many hours to install the locomotive 2534 ... READ MORE



RCAF No. 5 INITIAL TRAINING SCHOOL (ITS) BELL
In World War II, the RCAF No. 5 ITS occupied this facility from 1941 to 1944 under an agreement between the federal and Ontario governments.

... READ MORE


SAMUEL THOMAS GREENE

Samuel Greene was the first deaf teacher to teach deaf children in the Ontario school system.

... READ MORE


SIMPSON'S TAVERN
In 1797 James and Margaret Simpson had a small log tavern at the southeast corner of this intersection. ... READ MORE


SIR JOHN A. MACDONALD HERITAGE TRAIL
Sir John A Macdonald had great political friends in Belleville. ... READ MORE


SIR MACKENZIE BOWELL (1823-1917)
Born in England, this printer and publisher represented North Hastings in Parliament from 1867 to 1892.

... READ MORE


SIR MACKENZIE BOWELL K.C.M.G. 1823-1917
The first Prime Minister of Canada, Bowell was born in Suffolk, England and came to Belleville with his parents in 1833.

... READ MORE


STU MEEKS RESCUE DOCK
This dock is dedicated in honour of the late Councillor “Stu” Meeks, member of council for the City of Belleville for 27 years.

... READ MORE


SURVEY MONUMENT

The first survey in the Quinte area. Near this site in 1785, Lewis Kotte, deputy provincial surveyor, commenced the running of the boundary line ... ... READ MORE



SUSANNA MOODIE & J.W. DUNBAR MOODIE
Susanna Moodie and her husband John Wedderburn Moodie were two prominent Belleville writers in the mid-19th century.

... READ MORE


SUSANNA MOODIE COTTAGE
Born in England, Mrs. Moodie immigrated to Upper Canada with her husband in 1832.

... READ MORE


THURLOW PURCHASE
This plaque marks the resolution of the Thurlow Purchase almost 200 years after the original signing.... READ MORE


WHARF STREET DEBATING CLUB
For nearly a century, a converted wooden boat house housed the City of Belleville’s most colourful & controversial institution.

... READ MORE