TRENTON POST OFFICE
The door of the old Trenton Post Office has taken an official pounding over the years. The clock tower and main entrance to the old post office, erected on this site in 1888, were retained when the building was torn down to make way for a municipal office and parking garage. The tower door became the ceremonial door, to which various military units would come looking for the keys to the city. The base commander would pound the pommel of his sword on the door three times, creating three distinct indentations.
There are several plaques on the door commemorating these occasions. One of them reads this way:
“These marks bear testimony to the ceremony granting the freedom of the City of Trenton to The Royal Canadian Air Force by His Worship Mayor Duncan McDonald on July First, 1981. The marks were caused when the base commander Colonel Ronald D. Russell, knocked on the door with the pommel of his sword.” There are three indentations in the wood of the door to the left of the plaque.
Similar plaques have been erected to mark visits by Canadian Forces Base Trenton in 1991, the 173 “Royal Tiger” Royal Canadian Air Cadet Squadron in 2002 and the Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment in 2003.
GPS co-ordinates: 44° 06’04.13” N 77° 34’ 34.63” W (44.10111111, 77.56711111)
Street address: Dundas Street West at Albert Street
Other plaques on the door: