STONE CHURCH HASTINGS
Stone Church, one of three known cobblestone churches in Ontario, is part of a small group of cobblestone buildings in this area. It was built in 1853-56 on land belonging to John Fretz to house the local Wesleyan Methodist congregation. Although the church’s interior was remodeled in 1893 in the then popular Italianate style and altered again in 1927, its exterior remains largely intact. This simple design, characteristic of the denomination’s architecture in the mid-nineteenth century, relies upon the textured cobblestone surfaces and the dressed stones at the corners of the walls as well as the harmonious arrangement of the various arched openings. The building served as a place of worship until 1968 when its parishioners moved to other neighbouring United Church congregations.
- Ontario Heritage Foundation, Ministry of Culture and Recreation
GPS Co-ordinates: 44° 12’ 34.98N 77° 27’ 04.08” W (44.20944444, 77.45111111)
Street address: 654 Vermilyea Road, north of Highway 401.
Note: The church is occupied as a private residence and art gallery.
PHOTOS: Detail of stonework; mural on church wall: