Hastings Historical Plaques

Historical Plaques for Belleville

Categories
Search:  
Belleville (45)     
Go Back

PONTON PARK

PLAQUE TEXT:

Ponton Park was bequeathed to the City of Belleville by Enid Ponton Zimmele in 1964 through a land transfer as part of the sale of the Ponton lands for development. The land and premises were “to be used as parklands and no buildings whatsoever are to be erected thereon”.

Enid received this land, including the English Regency cottage style house named Sidney Cottage, from her husband, Col. William Nisbet Ponton, a lawyer and militia officer. Included in the tract were lands west of Sidney Street to the city limits and north of Dundas Street to the Canadian National Railway tracks. Col. Ponton was the last descendant of William Hutton who purchased these lands in 1834 and improved an original frame house built in the early 1800’s by Dr. Seth Meacham.

Born in New York City, Enid Ponton was known in the Belleville area as an outspoken supporter of public issues that drew her attention. She was an active participant in community organizations and known for her lively interest in the public affairs of her adopted city.

GPS co-ordinates: 44° 09’ 05.59” N 77° 23’ 48.68 W

Street address: South side of Dundas Street West, Belleville, west of Sidney Street.

These lands represented a considerable expanse of property in early Belleville. Ponton Park remains a broad swatch of grass. Currently (2019) an allotment garden has been constructed in the southeast corner of the property. Access to the water is cut off by the Canadian Pacific Railway line.

 

allotment gardens


PONTON PARK
Information Last Updated: Tuesday September 24, 2019