Hastings Historical Plaques

Directory Test Page, please ignore. Thank you

Categories
Search:  
Architecture (10)  Literary (9)  Road Trip #2 Pioneer Days in the Madoc area (5) 
Belleville (50)  Military (10)  Road Trip #3 The Mining Towns of Centre Hastings (5) 
Central Hastings (17)  Mohawk/Tyendinaga (6)  Road Trip #4 The Treasures of North Hastings (6) 
Churches (1)  Northern Hastings (6)  Road Trip #5 Mohawks of the Bay of Quinte (5) 
Deseronto (8)  People (27)  Road Trip #6 Treasures of Tyendinaga (5) 
Disasters (2)  Quinte West (12)  Road Trip #7 Rural Belleville and Trenton (6) 
Education (4)  Railways (3)  Sports (5) 
Hastings County (41)  Religion (13)   
Industry (4)  Road Trip #1 - Villages of Centre Hastings (7)   
Go Back

TWEED, FOUNDING OF

PLAQUE TEXT

During the 1830s a settlement, initially called Munroe's Mills and later Hungerford Mills, developed here on the Moira River. In 1850, when its population had reached approximately 100, it was surveyed and renamed Tweed by prominent millowner, James Jamieson. The community grew steadily during the mid-19th century with the development of lumbering and mining in the area. Later, as agriculture assumed greater importance, it became a service centre for local farmers. By 1891, when it merged with neighbouring Georgetown and was incorporated as a village, Tweed was served by two railways and had several small factories, numerous businesses and over 750 residents. In 1967, after decades of modest growth, the community gained widespread attention as the site of Canada's first all-woman municipal council.

Ontario Heritage plaque

GPS Location: 44º 28' 41.43" N 77º 18' 49.36" W (44.47805556, 77.31361111)

Street Location: Parkette on the east side of Victoria Street North (Highway 37)


TWEED, FOUNDING OF
Information Last Updated: Sunday July 26, 2020