Hastings Historical Plaques

Directory Test Page, please ignore. Thank you

Categories
Search:  
Architecture (10)  Literary (9)  Road Trip #2 Pioneer Days in the Madoc area (5) 
Belleville (50)  Military (10)  Road Trip #3 The Mining Towns of Centre Hastings (5) 
Central Hastings (17)  Mohawk/Tyendinaga (6)  Road Trip #4 The Treasures of North Hastings (6) 
Churches (1)  Northern Hastings (6)  Road Trip #5 Mohawks of the Bay of Quinte (5) 
Deseronto (8)  People (27)  Road Trip #6 Treasures of Tyendinaga (5) 
Disasters (2)  Quinte West (12)  Road Trip #7 Rural Belleville and Trenton (6) 
Education (4)  Railways (3)  Sports (5) 
Hastings County (41)  Religion (13)   
Industry (4)  Road Trip #1 - Villages of Centre Hastings (7)   
Go Back

SIMPSON'S TAVERN

PLAQUE TEXT:

In 1797 James and Margaret Simpson had a small log tavern at the southeast corner of this intersection. In 1799 they built a frame tavern which became the hub of Meyers' Creek for political rallies, military recruitment, training and courts-martial, masonic lodge meetings and social gatherings. After James died in 1802, Margaret continued the business and was the first woman granted a tavern license in Midland District. In 1820 Margaret built a frame Georgian-style inn on the northeast corner of the intersection. It was sold in 1825 to the Wallbridge family and was demolished in 1978.

GPS Location: 44° 09' 39.50" 77° 22' 59.16" W (44.65611111, -77.38305556)

Street address: Parkette, NW corner Front and Dundas streets, Belleville

This plaque is near The Log Cabin monument to the arrival of the Loyalists in 1784. Several other plaques are also in the parkette.


SIMPSON'S TAVERN
Information Last Updated: Thursday June 6, 2019