Hastings Historical Plaques

Directory Test Page, please ignore. Thank you

Categories
Search:  
Architecture (10)  Literary (9)  Road Trip #2 Pioneer Days in the Madoc area (5) 
Belleville (50)  Military (10)  Road Trip #3 The Mining Towns of Centre Hastings (5) 
Central Hastings (17)  Mohawk/Tyendinaga (6)  Road Trip #4 The Treasures of North Hastings (6) 
Churches (1)  Northern Hastings (6)  Road Trip #5 Mohawks of the Bay of Quinte (5) 
Deseronto (8)  People (27)  Road Trip #6 Treasures of Tyendinaga (5) 
Disasters (2)  Quinte West (12)  Road Trip #7 Rural Belleville and Trenton (6) 
Education (4)  Railways (3)  Sports (5) 
Hastings County (41)  Religion (13)   
Industry (4)  Road Trip #1 - Villages of Centre Hastings (7)   
Go Back

ONTARIO'S FIRST GOLD MINE

PLAQUE TEXT

In August, 1866, Marcus Herbert Powell, Clerk of the Division Court and part-time prospector, struck gold nearby on the farm of John Richardson. The following year Ontario's first gold mine went into production on that site and the community of Eldorado was founded. The Richardson Mine proved unprofitable and soon ceased operation, but its discovery caused a substantial gold rush to the surrounding region. A number of small gold mines were subsequently established in southeastern Ontario, including the Deloro, Gilmour, Cordova, Feigle, Bannockburn and Golden Fleece. Owing to decreasing ore values, wasteful recovery methods and shortage of capital, most of these mines were abandoned after a few years of operation.

GPS co-ordinates: 44º 35' 292 N 77º 31' 202" W (44.5913889 77.52222222)

Street address: Highway 62 and John Street, Eldorado

For more information on Ontario's first gold mine, click HERE


ONTARIO'S FIRST GOLD MINE
Information Last Updated: Sunday July 26, 2020