Hastings Historical Plaques

Directory Test Page, please ignore. Thank you

Categories
Search:  
Architecture (10)  Literary (9)  Road Trip #2 Pioneer Days in the Madoc area (5) 
Belleville (50)  Military (10)  Road Trip #3 The Mining Towns of Centre Hastings (5) 
Central Hastings (17)  Mohawk/Tyendinaga (6)  Road Trip #4 The Treasures of North Hastings (6) 
Churches (1)  Northern Hastings (6)  Road Trip #5 Mohawks of the Bay of Quinte (5) 
Deseronto (8)  People (27)  Road Trip #6 Treasures of Tyendinaga (5) 
Disasters (2)  Quinte West (12)  Road Trip #7 Rural Belleville and Trenton (6) 
Education (4)  Railways (3)  Sports (5) 
Hastings County (41)  Religion (13)   
Industry (4)  Road Trip #1 - Villages of Centre Hastings (7)   
Go Back

GRIFFIN OPERA HOUSE

PLAQUE TEXT

Belleville's splendid opera house, the Griffin, originally the Belleville Opera House and subsequently the Carman Opera House, opened at this location on January 24, 1884. The imposing red brick exterior was highlighted with stone arch details and tall narrow windows. The sumptuous interior featured frescoed walls, painted woodwork, lavish sets and draperies, private boxes and galleries. Capacity crowds of 1300 enjoyed melodramas and minstrel shows. Belleville was a major opera destination on the Toronto-Montreal circuit. The advent of talking pictures and purpose-built cinemas heralded the end; the Griffin Opera House was demolished in 1933.

GPS: 44° 09' 51.20" N 77° 22' 52.48" W

65 Bridge Street East, Belleville. The location is now the site of a law office.

Griffin Opera House interior

Griffin Opera House Interior


GRIFFIN OPERA HOUSE
Information Last Updated: Tuesday July 14, 2020