This Golden Hawk aircraft was originally refurbished in May 1987 by technicians of the Aerospace Maintenance Development Unit and the Base Aircraft Maintenance Engineering Branch of CFB Trenton in appreciation of the continuing support provided by the City of Belleville. Many members of the team were too young to have worked on the F-86 Sabre during its active role, nevertheless, the memory of this great aircraft and the famous Golden Hawk acrobatic team lives on.
Per ardua ad astra.
Gorge Zegouras, Mayor, Col. Gordon Diamond, base commander, Col. Robert McDowell, CO, AMDU
The Golden Hawk aircraft was refurbished again and completed in August 2014 by technicians of the Aerospace and Telecommunications Engineering Support Squadron, aided by technicians of 8 Wing Trenton, in appreciation for the continuing support provided by the City of Belleville. Although the team was too young to have worked on the F-86 Sabre while it was in active service, the memory of this great aircraft and the famous Golden Hawk aerobatic teams lives on.
Neil R. Ellis, mayor and members of council; Col. David Lowthian, 8 Wing Commander, LCol. Marie-Claude Gaumond, CO, ATESS
GPS Co-ordinates: 44° 09' 07.78" N 77° 23' 24.68" W (44.15194444, -77.39000000)
Street address: Zwicks Park, Belleville, on the Bay of Quinte
MORE NOTES: The Golden Hawks were a six-plane aerobatic team flying F-86 Sabres. The team was established in 1959 to celebrate the 35th anniversary of the RCAF and the 50th year of Canadian flight, which began with the Silver Dart in 1909. It operated out of Chatham. The team was disbanded in 1964.
The F-86 was built by Canadair in Montreal from 1948 until 1958. It was replaced with the CF-104 in the 1960s. A total of 1,815 Sabres were built in the Montreal plant, some ending up in West Germany, South Africa and Pakistan.