Hastings Historical Plaques

Directory Test Page, please ignore. Thank you

Categories
Search:  
Architecture (10)  Literary (9)  Road Trip #2 Pioneer Days in the Madoc area (5) 
Belleville (50)  Military (10)  Road Trip #3 The Mining Towns of Centre Hastings (5) 
Central Hastings (17)  Mohawk/Tyendinaga (6)  Road Trip #4 The Treasures of North Hastings (6) 
Churches (1)  Northern Hastings (6)  Road Trip #5 Mohawks of the Bay of Quinte (5) 
Deseronto (8)  People (27)  Road Trip #6 Treasures of Tyendinaga (5) 
Disasters (2)  Quinte West (12)  Road Trip #7 Rural Belleville and Trenton (6) 
Education (4)  Railways (3)  Sports (5) 
Hastings County (41)  Religion (13)   
Industry (4)  Road Trip #1 - Villages of Centre Hastings (7)   
Go Back

GLANMORE NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE

PLAQUE TEXT

This imposing house is a fine example of the Second Empire style which was popular in Canada in the 1870s and 1880s. Local architect Thomas Hanley skillfully blended the characteristic Second Empire mansard roof and its ornate dormer windows with asymmetrical massing, a bracketed cornice and iron cresting to create an image of picturesque elegance. The profusion of ornate woodwork and decoration inside the house complement its stately exterior. Built in 1882-1883 for the wealthy banker and financier, J. P. C. Phillips, Glanmore reflects the tastes of the well-to-do in late 19th-century Canada.

Cette imposante demeure est un tres bel exemple du style Second Empire, qui fut populaire au Canada dans les annees 1870 et 1880. L'architecte local Thomas Hanley a habil3ment combine les forms asymetriques, la corniche - console et la crěte de fer avec le toit en mansard dote de lecarnes ornees, si caracteristique de ce style. L'abondance des boiseries et des motis děcoratifs intěrieurs complete la pittoresque elegance de la maison. Construite en 1882-1883 pour le riche banquier et financier J>P>C. Phillips, Glanmore t'moigne des gouts des biens nantis de la fin du XIXe sicle.

Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada

GPS Co-ordinates: 44° 10' 01.48" N 77° 22' 03.55" W 257 Bridge Street East Belleville

Additional information: Glanmore National Historic Site is operated by the City of Belleville.

Other plaques on site: Glanmore exterior restoration project, Glanmore architecture, Glanmore landscape restoration, Sir John A. Macdonald Heritage Trail.

To reach Glanmore's web site for much more information, click HERE.


GLANMORE NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE
Information Last Updated: Friday June 19, 2020