Hastings Historical Plaques

Directory Test Page, please ignore. Thank you

Categories
Search:  
Architecture (10)  Literary (9)  Road Trip #2 Pioneer Days in the Madoc area (5) 
Belleville (50)  Military (10)  Road Trip #3 The Mining Towns of Centre Hastings (5) 
Central Hastings (17)  Mohawk/Tyendinaga (6)  Road Trip #4 The Treasures of North Hastings (6) 
Churches (1)  Northern Hastings (6)  Road Trip #5 Mohawks of the Bay of Quinte (5) 
Deseronto (8)  People (27)  Road Trip #6 Treasures of Tyendinaga (5) 
Disasters (2)  Quinte West (12)  Road Trip #7 Rural Belleville and Trenton (6) 
Education (4)  Railways (3)  Sports (5) 
Hastings County (41)  Religion (13)   
Industry (4)  Road Trip #1 - Villages of Centre Hastings (7)   
Go Back

FIRE STATION NO. 2

PLAQUE TEXT

In 1867 contractor John Forin built this stone building with brick facade to house a fire station, police office and cells. Belleville town council met here until 1873. In 1916 a permanent firefighting force replaced volunteers. Firemen were on duty six days a week, 24 hours a day. In the 1920s horse-drawn equipment - an 1870 steam engine, ladder and hose carts was augmented by motorized vehicles. Fire Station No. 2 closed in 1950. The facade with its tall arched windows is unchanged but for the replacement of the large doors by shop fronts.


GPS location: 44º 10" 08.21" N 77º 23' 09.42" W
394A Front Street, Belleville, ON

Photo: Fire Station No. 2: The old fire station has been occupied by a succession of restaurants. Currently it is a Mexican restaurant which has expanded into both bays of the station.

fire hall horses

FIRE STATION NO. 2
Information Last Updated: Friday June 19, 2020