Hastings Historical Plaques

Directory Test Page, please ignore. Thank you

Categories
Search:  
Architecture (10)  Literary (9)  Road Trip #2 Pioneer Days in the Madoc area (5) 
Belleville (50)  Military (10)  Road Trip #3 The Mining Towns of Centre Hastings (5) 
Central Hastings (17)  Mohawk/Tyendinaga (6)  Road Trip #4 The Treasures of North Hastings (6) 
Churches (1)  Northern Hastings (6)  Road Trip #5 Mohawks of the Bay of Quinte (5) 
Deseronto (8)  People (27)  Road Trip #6 Treasures of Tyendinaga (5) 
Disasters (2)  Quinte West (12)  Road Trip #7 Rural Belleville and Trenton (6) 
Education (4)  Railways (3)  Sports (5) 
Hastings County (41)  Religion (13)   
Industry (4)  Road Trip #1 - Villages of Centre Hastings (7)   
Go Back

DUNDAS STREET BURYING GROUND 1828-1874

PLAQUE TEXT:

This memorial marks a burying ground established here by the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1828. It was the year of a great Revival, a "turning point" year for Methodism in Belleville, and the first year in which Methodists in the province could legally hold title to land. John Canniff Sr. sold this acre for 30 pounds to the Trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church: Jonas Canniff, Benjamin Ketcheson, Walter Ross and William Ross. The site ceased to be used as a cemetery after the new Belleville Cemetery opened west of the city in the 1870s. We remember the fortitude of the early settlers of Belleville and dedicate this site to their memory.

Erected by Heritage Belleville with the assistance of the Bridge Street United Church Foundation, the Belleville Kinsmen Club, and the City of Belleville, 1993.

GPS Co-ordinates: 44º 09' 43.91" N 77º 22' 22.8" W (44.1614444 -77.3727778)

Street address: Southwest corner of Newberry Street and Dundas Street East

The burial ground has become the site of a playground.


DUNDAS STREET BURYING GROUND 1828-1874
Information Last Updated: Thursday June 18, 2020