Hastings Historical Plaques

Directory Test Page, please ignore. Thank you

Categories -> Hastings County

Hastings County

ALL # A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
ACTINOLITE, FOUNDING OF

In 1853 Billa Flint (1805-94), a lumberman, member of the legislative assembly and later of the senate, built sawmills here on the Skootamatta River.



More Information

Map
ASA TURNER
One of the first Baptist missionaries to serve the scattered communities along the north shore of Lake Ontario, Turner came to Upper Canada...



More Information

Map
BANCROFT HOTEL
In 1853, following the surveying of the Hastings Colonization Road, the Clark family were the first Europeans to settle here.

More Information

Map
BRITISH COMMONWEALTH AIR TRAINING PLAN (DESER

Location of #1 Instrument Flying School, Camp Mohawk, April 2, 1943, August 31, 1945



More Information

Map
CAPTAIN GEORGE FRASER KERR

Born at Deseronto, Kerr attended schools here and in Toronto. With the outbreak of the First World War,



More Information

Map
CHAMPLAIN'S WAR PARTY 1615
In September, 1615, a small party of Frenchmen, commanded by Samuel de Champlain, and some five hundred Huron Indians, passed down the Trent River.

More Information

Map
CHISHOLM'S MILLS

In 1857, ten years before Confederation, William Fraser Chisholm (1829-1908) acquired Shipman's Mill on the Moira River.



More Information

Map
CHRIST CHURCH, HER MAJESTY'S CHAPEL ROYAL  OF

This handsome church attests to the remarkable historic alliance of the Mohawk people with the Crown.



More Information

Map
CIVIC MEMORIAL TREE

A civic memorial tree commemorates one of the first actions of the City of Quinte West, incorporated January 1, 1998.



More Information

Map
DEGANAWIDAH

A Huron by birth, a Mohawk by adoption, founder of the Five Nations (the Iroquois Confederacy), was born near here, during the early fifteenth century.

More Information


Map
DELORO, VILLAGE OF

From its beginning the Village of Deloro was a "company town" reliant on mining and refining. Today it is the site of a major environmental clean

More Information


Map
DESERONTO INDUSTRIES

Ontario's rich forests provided raw materials for Deseronto's timber industries

More Information


Map
DESERONTO, FOUNDING OF

Led by Deserontyon (Captain John), a group of Mohawks, supporters of the British during the American Revolution, in 1784 became

More Information


Map
GAUEN CEMETERY

Henry Gauen was trapped in the Arctic ice for two years on the Investigator as the McClure expedition searched for the Franklin Expedition.



More Information

Map
GEORGE BEER

The City of Belleville has dedicated a ball field in Thurlow Park to the late George Beer, councillor and avid sports fan.



More Information

Map
HAROLD COLMAN RICKABY

Deputy minister of the Ontario Department of Mines for twenty-two years, "Rick" Rickaby was respected for his contributions to science and the mi

More Information


Map
HASTINGS ROAD (ORMSBY)
This road was begun in 1854 as part of a network of "Colonization Roads" planned by the government.

More Information

Map
HOLLYWOOD NORTH
Trenton was home to one of Canada's earliest and longest running film studios, built on this site in 1917.

More Information

Map
HUNGERFORD SMALLPOX EPIDEMIC OF 1884

The viral disease of smallpox - widespread in 19th century Ontario - flared up in a severe epidemic in Hungerford Township in 1884.



More Information

Map
JOHN WEIR FOOTE
The only chaplain in World War II to receive the Victoria Cross, John Weir Foote was born and raised in Madoc.



More Information

Map
JOHN WESLEY DAFOE 1866-1944
Born in Bangor Township, Dafoe began his career with the "Montreal Daily Star" in 1883.

More Information

Map
LONSDALE VILLAGE
The steep sides of this narrow river valley provided excellent opportunities for damming the Salmon River.

More Information

Map
MACKENZIE'S MILLS
Water-powered mills were a vital necessity in the lives of pioneering settlements.

More Information

Map
MADOC, 385 ARMY CADETS

With war threatening n Europe in 1913, a cadet corps was formed in Madoc from the student body of the high school.



More Information

Map
MADOC, FOUNDING OF

Mills constructed about 1832 by Donald MacKenzie, a Belleville merchant, and the ironworks erected by American entrepreneurs Uriah Seymour and John Pendergas

More Information


Map
MARKET SQUARE BELLEVILLE
Belleville's Market Square is more than two hundred years old.

More Information

Map
MARMORA IRONWORKS 1823

In 1821 an Irish immigrant, Charles Hayes, began building here one of the province's earliest smelters and foundries, which by June, 1823, was ready to p

More Information


Map
MERRILL DENISON 1893-1975
A prolific and accomplished playwright, Denison was born in Detroit and raised in Ontario.

More Information

Map
MINERS OF MARMORA AND LAKE

Marmora is Upper Canada's first pioneer irontown, established in 1821. The iron ore works gave life to mines in Blairton, Belmont and Ma

More Information


Map
MOHAWK HERITAGE TRAIL

These plaques commemorate a Mohawk trail that has been used for more than 200 years.



More Information

Map
MOHAWKS

Two plaques in a small roadside park near Deseronto describe the Mohawks who landed on the shore of the Bay of Quinte in 1784.



More Information

Map
MONCK ROAD

This colonization road was constructed for the dual purpose of opening up a wilderness area to settlement...



More Information

Map
MOUNT PELION

Mount Pelion in the heart of Trenton offers a splendid view of the Trent River valley and the Bay of Quinte. Follow in the steps of Samuel de Champlain!

More Information


Map
ONTARIO'S FIRST GOLD MINE

In August, 1866, Marcus Herbert Powell, Clerk of the Division Court and part-time prospector, struck gold on the farm of John Richardson.

More Information


Map
ORONHYATEKHA

The renowned Mohawk chief orator and physician was buried in this churchyard.



More Information

Map
PETERSON ROAD
The Peterson Road was named after Joseph S. Peterson, the surveyor who determined its route

More Information

Map
SINKING OF THE MAYFLOWER
This is the story of a dead man saving three people from drowning.

More Information

Map
STIRLING

This farming town northwest of Belleville features a number of historic buildings bearing plaques describing the original uses of those structures.



More Information

Map
STONE CHURCH HASTINGS

Stone Church, one of three known cobblestone churches in Ontario, is part of a small group of cobblestone buildings in this area.



More Information

Map
THOMASBURG SPRING

The Thomasburg Spring provided fresh, cool water for generations of thirsty travellers and their horses.



More Information

Map
TWEED, FOUNDING OF

During the 1830s a settlement, initially called Munroe's Mills and later Hungerford Mills, developed here on the Moira River.



More Information

Map
41 results found using "Hastings County" - Show ALL