Hastings Historical Plaques

Directory Test Page, please ignore. Thank you

Categories
Search:  
Architecture (10)  Literary (9)  Road Trip #2 Pioneer Days in the Madoc area (5) 
Belleville (50)  Military (10)  Road Trip #3 The Mining Towns of Centre Hastings (5) 
Central Hastings (17)  Mohawk/Tyendinaga (6)  Road Trip #4 The Treasures of North Hastings (6) 
Churches (1)  Northern Hastings (6)  Road Trip #5 Mohawks of the Bay of Quinte (5) 
Deseronto (8)  People (27)  Road Trip #6 Treasures of Tyendinaga (5) 
Disasters (2)  Quinte West (12)  Road Trip #7 Rural Belleville and Trenton (6) 
Education (4)  Railways (3)  Sports (5) 
Hastings County (41)  Religion (13)   
Industry (4)  Road Trip #1 - Villages of Centre Hastings (7)   
Go Back

BELLEVILLE

By 1790 the mill, tavern and stores established here near the Bay of Quinte had stimulated the growth of a settlement. Named "Bellville" in 1816, the village progressed steadily as a milling and shipping centre, and in 1834 the thriving village became a police village. The completion in 1856 of the Grand Trunk Railway between Toronto and Montreal, a booming lumber trade, and the development of a fertile agricultural hinterland fostered significant commercial and industrial growth in Belleville, which had become a town in 1850. Following the discovery of gold near Madoc in 1866, Belleville was known as the "gold gate" of Hastings County, and after 1872 because a major Canadian marketing centre for cheese. In 1877 it was incorporated as a city.

Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation

GPS co-ordinates: 44º 09"31.28' N 77º 22" 56.72' W (44.1586111, 77.3822222)

On Victoria Island in Belleville Harbour

Comment: Other sources say the village was named Bellville in 1816, after Lady Arabella Gore, wife of Sir Francis Gore, lieutenant-governor 1815-1817. Previously it had'been known as Singleton's Creek and then Meyer's Creek.

Photo: Belleville harbour today. Fibreglass boats have replaced wooden sawmills.



BELLEVILLE
Information Last Updated: Thursday June 18, 2020