Hastings Historical Plaques

Directory Test Page, please ignore. Thank you

Categories
Search:  
Architecture (10)  Literary (9)  Road Trip #2 Pioneer Days in the Madoc area (5) 
Belleville (50)  Military (10)  Road Trip #3 The Mining Towns of Centre Hastings (5) 
Central Hastings (17)  Mohawk/Tyendinaga (6)  Road Trip #4 The Treasures of North Hastings (6) 
Churches (1)  Northern Hastings (6)  Road Trip #5 Mohawks of the Bay of Quinte (5) 
Deseronto (8)  People (27)  Road Trip #6 Treasures of Tyendinaga (5) 
Disasters (2)  Quinte West (12)  Road Trip #7 Rural Belleville and Trenton (6) 
Education (4)  Railways (3)  Sports (5) 
Hastings County (41)  Religion (13)   
Industry (4)  Road Trip #1 - Villages of Centre Hastings (7)   
Go Back

BELLEVILLE CITY HALL

PLAQUE TEXT:

This imposing structure was erected in 1872-73 to house the public market and administrative offices of the rapidly expanding municipality of Belleville. It was designed by John Evans, a local architect, and constructed by contractor John Forin. A fine example of High Victorian architecture, the handsome brick and limestone structure was built as an expression of civic pride and confidence in the future. It is distinguished by tall, arched windows on the second floor, a bell-cast mansard roof with dormers and a massive clock tower strengthened by octagonal buttresses. Aside from its administrative function, the structure has also served as a meeting place for religious, social and commercial organizations. Little altered since erected, it continues today to be the most prominent landmark with the community.

Ontario Heritage Foundation

GPS co-ordinates: 44º 09' 45.69" N 77º 23' 00.72" W (44.16250000, 77.38333333)

Street address: 169 Front Street, Belleville


BELLEVILLE CITY HALL
Information Last Updated: Thursday June 18, 2020