In 1854 the Methodist Episcopal Church, recognizing the need to improve the training of its clergy, began the construction of a seminary on this site. Designed to accommodate 150 residents with classroom facilities for 400 students, Belleville Seminary was opened in July 1857. Under the able direction of is principal, Reverend Albert Carman, the school flourished, producing several eminent graduates. In 1866 it was recharted as Albert College, an affiliate of the University of Toronto, and five years later it became an independent degree-granting institution. When Victoria College in Cobourg was chosen as official university for the newly-formed Methodist Church in 1884, Albert College became a private collegiate. Moved in 1926 to the present location overlooking the Bay of Quinte, it remains a distinguished residential school.
GPS location: 44º 10' 40.80" N 77' 23' 19.90" W (44.1777778, -77.3886111
Street address: College Hill United Church, 16 North Park Street, Belleville
See also: Albert Carman
FURTHER NOTES: In 1952 a study of the city showed the need for a United Church in the north end of Belleville. Albert College gave the property to the United Church for $1. The congregation became known as College Hill United Church. In 1963 an addition was built onto the church.