Hastings Historical Plaques

Directory Test Page, please ignore. Thank you

ALL # A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
 missing image



More Information

 missing image



More Information

Testing missing image
Description with ° in it

More Information

9-11 MEMORIAL

This is a section of I-beam recovered from the ruins of the World Trade Centre.



More Information

Map
ACTINOLITE, FOUNDING OF

In 1853 Billa Flint (1805-94), a lumberman, member of the legislative assembly and later of the senate, built sawmills here on the Skootamatta River.



More Information

Map
AFGHANISTAN REPATRIATION MEMORIAL

Welcome to this place of contemplation and tribute to Canadian soldiers who lost their lives in the war in Afghanistan.



More Information

Map
ALBERT CARMAN 1833-1917

A commanding figure in Canadian Methodism during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Carman was born in Iroquois

More Information


Map
ALBERT COLLEGE

In 1854 the Methodist Episcopal Church, recognizing the need to improve the training of its clergy, began the construction of a seminary on this site.



More Information

Map
ASA TURNER
One of the first Baptist missionaries to serve the scattered communities along the north shore of Lake Ontario, Turner came to Upper Canada...



More Information

Map
BANCROFT HOTEL
In 1853, following the surveying of the Hastings Colonization Road, the Clark family were the first Europeans to settle here.

More Information

Map
BELLEVILLE

By 1790 the mill, tavern and stores established here near the Bay of Quinte had stimulated the growth of a settlement.



More Information

Map
BELLEVILLE CITY HALL

This imposing structure was erected in 1872-73 to house the public market and administrative offices of the rapidly expanding municipality of Belleville.
More Information


Map
BELLEVILLE COLLEGIATE INSTITUTE

Belleville Collegiate Institute and Vocational School stood on this site on land set aside for educational purposes in the municip

More Information


Map
BOBBY HULL
Bobby Hull, "The Golden Jet" was a phenomenal hockey player who came from Point Anne.

More Information

Map
BOGART-CARMAN BUILDING
This historically important site was purchased from the crown in 1797 by Alexander Chisholm.

More Information

Map
BRITISH COMMONWEALTH AIR TRAINING PLAN (DESER

Location of #1 Instrument Flying School, Camp Mohawk, April 2, 1943, August 31, 1945



More Information

Map
BUSTER ALYEA

"Buster" Alyea was a prominent mayor of Trenton elected 1940.



More Information

Map
CAPTAIN GEORGE FRASER KERR

Born at Deseronto, Kerr attended schools here and in Toronto. With the outbreak of the First World War,



More Information

Map
CAPTAIN JOHN W. MEYERS 1745-1821

Meyers gained fame as a Loyalist spy during the American Revolution.



More Information

Map
CHAMPLAIN'S WAR PARTY 1615
In September, 1615, a small party of Frenchmen, commanded by Samuel de Champlain, and some five hundred Huron Indians, passed down the Trent River.

More Information

Map
CHISHOLM'S MILLS

In 1857, ten years before Confederation, William Fraser Chisholm (1829-1908) acquired Shipman's Mill on the Moira River.



More Information

Map
CHRIST CHURCH, HER MAJESTY'S CHAPEL ROYAL  OF

This handsome church attests to the remarkable historic alliance of the Mohawk people with the Crown.



More Information

Map
CIVIC MEMORIAL TREE

A civic memorial tree commemorates one of the first actions of the City of Quinte West, incorporated January 1, 1998.



More Information

Map
CORBY PARK

Corby Park in the heart of East Hill, Belleville, was donated to the city by the Corby family.



More Information

Map
CORBYVILLE
The name of the hamlet of Corbyville recognizes the Corby family's considerable legacy in Hastings County.

More Information

Map
DEGANAWIDAH

A Huron by birth, a Mohawk by adoption, founder of the Five Nations (the Iroquois Confederacy), was born near here, during the early fifteenth century.

More Information


Map
DELORO, VILLAGE OF

From its beginning the Village of Deloro was a "company town" reliant on mining and refining. Today it is the site of a major environmental clean

More Information


Map
DESERONTO INDUSTRIES

Ontario's rich forests provided raw materials for Deseronto's timber industries

More Information


Map
DESERONTO, FOUNDING OF

Led by Deserontyon (Captain John), a group of Mohawks, supporters of the British during the American Revolution, in 1784 became

More Information


Map
DR. R. L. VAUGHAN
In the history of hockey in Belleville, it is fair to say that Dr. Robert L. Vaughan was a visionary...

More Information

Map
DUNDAS STREET BURYING GROUND 1828-1874
This memorial marks a burying ground established here by the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1828.



More Information

Map
FIRE STATION NO. 2
In 1867 contractor John Forin built this stone building with brick facade to house a fire station, police office and cells.

More Information

Map
FLYING FRENCHMEN
Professional hockey was in its infancy in the autumn of 1909



More Information

Map
FORMATION OF THE METHODIST CHURCH
The largest Protestant denomination in Canada during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the Methodist Church (Canada, Newfoundland,

More Information

Map
GAUEN CEMETERY

Henry Gauen was trapped in the Arctic ice for two years on the Investigator as the McClure expedition searched for the Franklin Expedition.



More Information

Map
GEORGE BEER

The City of Belleville has dedicated a ball field in Thurlow Park to the late George Beer, councillor and avid sports fan.



More Information

Map
GEORGE ZEGOURAS

George Zegouras was known as "the Mayor of the people" of the City of Belleville, Ontario. Born in Greece, his charisma with citizens and visitors

More Information


Map
GLANMORE NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE
This imposing house is a fine example of the Second Empire style which was popular in Canada in the 1870s and 1880s.



More Information

Map
GOLDEN HAWK

This Golden Hawk aircraft was originally refurbished in May 1987...



More Information

Map
GRAND TRUNK RAILWAY BELLEVILLE

The Grand Trunk was incorporated in 1853 to run from Sarnia to Portland, Maine.



More Information

Map
GREAT BELLEVILLE FLOODS

Until modern ice-control measures were instituted, spring flooding of the Moira River was a regular occurrence.



More Information

Map
GRIFFIN OPERA HOUSE
Belleville's splendid opera house, the Griffin, originally the Belleville Opera House, opened at this location on January 24, 1884.

More Information

Map
GWENDOLYN LAZIER
At 18 years of age Gwendolyn Lazier rode on horseback from Belleville to Washington via New York City...

More Information

Map
HALLELUJAH WEDDING (Bridge St. United Church)

Hallelujah Weddings were distinctive Salvation Army rituals which well-wishers paid to attend and enjoy the lengthy spectacle of a lively marriage.



More Information

Map
HAROLD COLMAN RICKABY

Deputy minister of the Ontario Department of Mines for twenty-two years, "Rick" Rickaby was respected for his contributions to science and the mi

More Information


Map
HASTINGS ROAD (ORMSBY)
This road was begun in 1854 as part of a network of "Colonization Roads" planned by the government.

More Information

Map
HOLLYWOOD NORTH
Trenton was home to one of Canada's earliest and longest running film studios, built on this site in 1917.

More Information

Map
HUGH O'NEIL

A friendship garden honouring Hugh O'Neil invites passersby to sit a spell and contemplate the serenity of Trent Port.



More Information

Map
HUNGERFORD SMALLPOX EPIDEMIC OF 1884

The viral disease of smallpox - widespread in 19th century Ontario - flared up in a severe epidemic in Hungerford Township in 1884.



More Information

Map
JAMES BERTRAM COLLIP
A co-discoverer of insulin, J.B. (Bert) Collip was one of Canada's most prolific medical researchers

More Information

Map
JOHN WEIR FOOTE
The only chaplain in World War II to receive the Victoria Cross, John Weir Foote was born and raised in Madoc.



More Information

Map
JOHN WESLEY DAFOE 1866-1944
Born in Bangor Township, Dafoe began his career with the "Montreal Daily Star" in 1883.

More Information

Map
KAY MANDERVILLE

Former Belleville Councillor Kay Manderville honoured with naming of Pedestrian Bridge on Moira River.



More Information

Map
LOG CABIN MONUMENT
This memorial is erected to commemorate the 140th anniversary of the landing of the United Empire Loyalists in Ontario in the year 1784 A.D.



More Information

Map
LONSDALE VILLAGE
The steep sides of this narrow river valley provided excellent opportunities for damming the Salmon River.

More Information

Map
MACKENZIE'S MILLS
Water-powered mills were a vital necessity in the lives of pioneering settlements.

More Information

Map
MADOC, 385 ARMY CADETS

With war threatening n Europe in 1913, a cadet corps was formed in Madoc from the student body of the high school.



More Information

Map
MADOC, FOUNDING OF

Mills constructed about 1832 by Donald MacKenzie, a Belleville merchant, and the ironworks erected by American entrepreneurs Uriah Seymour and John Pendergas

More Information


Map
MARCHMONT DISTRIBUTION HOME 1875-1925
From 1875 to 1925, about 10,000 orphaned...

More Information

Map
MARKET SQUARE BELLEVILLE
Belleville's Market Square is more than two hundred years old.

More Information

Map
MARMORA IRONWORKS 1823

In 1821 an Irish immigrant, Charles Hayes, began building here one of the province's earliest smelters and foundries, which by June, 1823, was ready to p

More Information


Map
MEMORIAL ARENA
The Council of the Corporation of the City of Belleville purchased the Hume Arena on June 26, 1946



More Information

Map
MERRILL DENISON 1893-1975
A prolific and accomplished playwright, Denison was born in Detroit and raised in Ontario.

More Information

Map
MINERS OF MARMORA AND LAKE

Marmora is Upper Canada's first pioneer irontown, established in 1821. The iron ore works gave life to mines in Blairton, Belmont and Ma

More Information


Map
MOHAWK HERITAGE TRAIL

These plaques commemorate a Mohawk trail that has been used for more than 200 years.



More Information

Map
MOHAWKS

Two plaques in a small roadside park near Deseronto describe the Mohawks who landed on the shore of the Bay of Quinte in 1784.



More Information

Map
MONCK ROAD

This colonization road was constructed for the dual purpose of opening up a wilderness area to settlement...



More Information

Map
MOUNT PELION

Mount Pelion in the heart of Trenton offers a splendid view of the Trent River valley and the Bay of Quinte. Follow in the steps of Samuel de Champlain!

More Information


Map
MOUNT ST. PATRICK CEMETERY
PLAQUE TEXT: There is no plaque, other than the large memorial boulder that was placed in the cemetery in 2018. Still, there's a fascinating story here. <

More Information

ONTARIO SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF

In 1869, the Ontario government sanctioned the establishment of the first provincial school for deaf children.



More Information

Map
ONTARIO'S FIRST GOLD MINE

In August, 1866, Marcus Herbert Powell, Clerk of the Division Court and part-time prospector, struck gold on the farm of John Richardson.

More Information


Map
ORONHYATEKHA

The renowned Mohawk chief orator and physician was buried in this churchyard.



More Information

Map
PETERSON ROAD
The Peterson Road was named after Joseph S. Peterson, the surveyor who determined its route

More Information

Map
PINNACLE STREET RAILWAY
The railway line on Pinnacle Street was part of the Grand Junction Railway which ran from Belleville to Peterborough.

More Information

Map
POINT ANNE UNITED CHURCH

Point Anne was a brand-new church in the cement company town of Point Anne in 1925. When the plant closed, the church was finished.



More Information

Map
PONTON PARK

Ponton Park is open parkland left over from the development of a large tract of land owned by the Ponton family.



More Information

RAILROAD MONUMENT BAYSHORE TRAIL

As part of Canada's centennial (1967) celebration the railroaders of this area and their friends volunteered many hours to install the locomotive 2534

More Information


Map
RCAF No. 5 INITIAL TRAINING SCHOOL (ITS) BELL
In World War II, the RCAF No. 5 ITS occupied this facility from 1941 to 1944 under an agreement between the federal and Ontario governments.



More Information

Map
ROY BONISTEEL

Every day a likeness of Roy Bonisteel sits on a park bench, open book in hand, ready to read to eager visitors. It's another interpretation of Man Alive.

More Information


Map
SAMUEL THOMAS GREENE

Samuel Greene was the first deaf teacher to teach deaf children in the Ontario school system.



More Information

Map
SELMA BOCHNEK
This Splash Pad is named in honour of Selma Bochnek, an individual who has contributed remarkably to the City of Belleville Community.

More Information

SIMPSON'S TAVERN
In 1797 James and Margaret Simpson had a small log tavern at the southeast corner of this intersection.

More Information

Map
SINKING OF THE MAYFLOWER
This is the story of a dead man saving three people from drowning.

More Information

Map
SIR JOHN A. MACDONALD HERITAGE TRAIL
Sir John A Macdonald had great political friends in Belleville.

More Information

Map
SIR MACKENZIE BOWELL (1823-1917)
Born in England, this printer and publisher represented North Hastings in Parliament from 1867 to 1892.



More Information

Map
SIR MACKENZIE BOWELL K.C.M.G. 1823-1917
The first Prime Minister of Canada, Bowell was born in Suffolk, England and came to Belleville with his parents in 1833.



More Information

Map
STIRLING

This farming town northwest of Belleville features a number of historic buildings bearing plaques describing the original uses of those structures.



More Information

Map
STONE CHURCH HASTINGS

Stone Church, one of three known cobblestone churches in Ontario, is part of a small group of cobblestone buildings in this area.



More Information

Map
STU MEEKS RESCUE DOCK
This dock is dedicated in honour of the late Councillor "Stu" Meeks, member of council for the City of Belleville for 27 years.



More Information

Map
SURVEY MONUMENT

The first survey in the Quinte area. Near this site in 1785, Lewis Kotte, deputy provincial surveyor, commenced the running of the boundary line ...

More Information


Map
SUSANNA MOODIE & J.W. DUNBAR MOODIE
Susanna Moodie and her husband John Wedderburn Moodie were two prominent Belleville writers in the mid-19th century.



More Information

Map
SUSANNA MOODIE COTTAGE
Born in England, Mrs. Moodie immigrated to Upper Canada with her husband in 1832.



More Information

Map
THOMASBURG SPRING

The Thomasburg Spring provided fresh, cool water for generations of thirsty travellers and their horses.



More Information

Map
THURLOW PURCHASE
This plaque marks the resolution of the Thurlow Purchase almost 200 years after the original signing.

More Information

Map
TRENTON COOPERAGE MILLS
FOUNDED 1908 BY EBEN JAMES I (1874-1949)

More Information

Map
TRENTON POST OFFICE

The door of the old Trenton Post Office has taken an official pounding...

More Information


Map
TWEED CHURCH BELL

The bell was donated by the Epworth League in 1892 after the original bell was destroyed in a church fire.



More Information

Map
TWEED, FOUNDING OF

During the 1830s a settlement, initially called Munroe's Mills and later Hungerford Mills, developed here on the Moira River.



More Information

Map
WALLBRIDGE

This "remarkable little town" has the distinction of being home of Ontario's oldest municipal government.



More Information

Map
WHARF STREET DEBATING CLUB
For nearly a century, a converted wooden boat house housed the City of Belleville's most colourful & controversial institution.



More Information

Map